Free Point Indicator
Easily deploy BHGE's Free Point Indicator in deep or deviated wells
BHGE's motorized Free Point Indicator (FPI) locates the deepest point that a stuck pipe can be backed off and retrieved from a well. The FPI also identifies the neutral weight of the pipe at the desired backoff depth, thereby significantly increasing the probability of a successful backoff operation.
The assembly consists of a non-grounded collar locator (AS40092), upper motorized anchor (FUA), sensor section (AS40018), and lower motorized anchor (FLA) to determine stuck point.
The motorized FPI is ideal for deviated wells where a tool with bowsprings or magnets may not enter the well without the addition of several sinker bars and a slack joint.
Free Point Indicator features include:
- Measures both torque and stretch
- Identifies neutral weight at free point by plotting torque reading vs driller’s weight
- Reduced friction/drag, and therefore easier to deploy in deviated wells
- Controllable anchoring force instead of pre-defined force, as with springs
- Faster setup time, shorter tool string
- Simple maintenance, can be redressed at wellsite
- Crossovers to various service company connections available
- In many cases, eliminates the need for a slack joint or sinker bars
- Shear pins allow for retrieval if communication to deployed tool is lost
In order to ensure a successful back-off our Free Point Sensor identifies the neutral weight of the free pipe at the proposed back-off depth. Additional components available include a slack joint to relieve weight above the tool assembly when making a measurement, sinker bars to overcome the holding ability of the anchors, and a Casing Collar Locator (CCL) to correlate depth. Most Free Point Sensors can be run simultaneously with explosive string shots. Consequently the free point and back-off operation can be performed in one run. Free Point Sensors are available in diameters of 11/16”, 1”, 1-3/8” and 1-5/8”.