FASTrak delivers the industry’s first sampling-while-drilling under PMCD
BHGE successfully deployed the FASTrak™ HD fluid analysis sampling and testing while drilling service offshore Malaysia in a well that experienced total losses and while operating with pressurized mud cap drilling (PMCD). PVT quality samples, critical to proving commercial reserves, were captured in a difficult drilling environment reducing project risk and costs. Baker Hughes, a GE company (BHGE), and Sarawak Shell’s successful collaboration provided the industry’s first capture of accurate reservoir gas samples while using PMCD.
The vertical exploratory well was drilled from a semi-submersible rig and had total mud losses almost immediately upon penetrating the carbonate, and PMCD was invoked.
PMCD typically requires seawater to be pumped down the drill pipe and water-based light annular mud (LAM) pumped down the backside of the drill pipe to provide pressure control. The mud system used was a mix of synthetic oil-based mud and seawater.
Download the PDF to read the full case study.
- Sampling-while-drilling Carbonate (karst) with total losses under PMCD conditions
- Low contamination gas sampling and preservation of low H2S concentration
- Keeping BHA stationary in a vertical well drilled from a floating rig
- Successfully completed pressure testing and sampling under total losses and PMCD
- Two gas samples with low OBM contamination between 1% and 3%
- Excellent consistency with wireline samples
- Critical understanding of fluid composition and gas contaminants, essential to securing a gas sales agreement
- Successful sampling prevented further well testing, saving the operator time and money